The Expandable Baton Course is designed for Officers and other Industry Professionals.
- This training program is non-product specific straight and expandable baton training program.
- Once trained and certified the officer and agency choose the brand and design of straight or expandable baton that fits their needs.
The participant will be taught the theory on the use of the expandable baton in a use of force situation.
- Completion of this course provides additional credibility to any officer’s use of force option training and development.
- The techniques discussed in this program are courtroom defensible and are backed by case law when used appropriately.
- The course is meant to provide the student with an understanding of the conditions in which the baton may be used, justification for use, and how to document these actions.
- The course teaches carrying, presentation, striking techniques, mechanical functioning, and maintenance of the expandable baton.
- The course provides efficient defensive impact weapon tactics for personnel without long hours of training.
- The tactics discussed in this program are quickly learned, easily practiced, and readily maintained.
- The theory and tactics discussed in this program allow the student to retain the ability to disengage and/or escalate their force options as the situation may require.
If this course is for certification and/or re-certification or continuing education purposes, the student completing this course will receive a certificate of training for the expandable baton.
Initial certification – the student completing this course will receive a certificate of training for the expandable baton theory. It is recommended that the student complete the baton skills portion of the training with a certified expandable baton trainer.
The skills training incorporates drills which simulate a wide variety of street encounters which may require the use of an expandable baton.
- The expandable baton certification is a lifetime certification that does not expire.
- However, It is recommended that the officer receive continuing education training via LMS annually.
Terminal Performance Objective – Upon completion of the Expandable Baton Theory course, the student will explain and demonstrate an understanding of the use of an expandable baton for security purposes.
Enabling Performance Objectives
EPO #1: Identify the confrontational continuum’s it relates the expandable baton and the escalation and de-escalation of force
EPO #2: Identify the proper documentation required when deploying the expandable baton.
EPO #3: Identify the different types of expandable batons that are most commonly used in law enforcement and security.
EPO#4: Identify the proper body mechanics and terminology associated with the expandable baton.
EPO #5: Identify the importance of verbalization stepping off-line and redirecting aggression as it relates to the expandable baton.
EPO # 6 Identify the different grips, stances, modes and strikes associated with the expandable baton.